Pages

Saturday 1 June 2013

Daisies.

Spring's lightly buttered, bittersweet popcorn
dainty gems freshly popped by Mother Nature
adorning the fields,
embellishing every patch of grass I walk past
Whispering,
Hey, pick me
See if he loves you back

Others see their pastel petals as silken ribbons
pearly white and yellow
delicately entwined with the springtime
their subtle beauty lacing the meadows

But not me.
In my eyes
they're hundreds of little paper twist ties confining my fingers,
Each wicked squeeze a permanent reminder,
imprisoning me with memories of August the year past
when I wasted my precious hours picking away at them
hoping I could change the feelings of a boy
Who speaks to me with words as I look at him with feelings
Who shatters my heart a little bit more every time he shakes his head
laughing, telling them, “She's just a friend.”

As if plucking off their limbs
could change the mind of a boy who tears me apart
each time he glances over his shoulder and gave me a thumbs up
as he interlocks his fingers with hers.
Each time ending
with me forcing back the lump in my throat
shaking my head no; it's not okay at all
only to see the back of his head.

But, how could I possibly confess to a boy,
who I've been unconditionally in love with for six years,
that he's caged butterflies in my stomach since day one?
That he's got me suffering through the intricacy of feeling too much?

If only I could change how he felt,
I most definitely would
these dainty little deceivers
left my heart and I trembling, whimpering
“I wish I could.”

I know better than to trust those posies,
those deceitful dime-sized delinquents
growing in a garden of green.
Because each of those
tiny white lies
have fifty-five petals.

(RL)

No comments:

Post a Comment